2009 Year End Running Totals

2009 Year End Running Totals

Why I Run

“Do you not know that in a race the runners all compete, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win it. Athletes exercise self-control in all things; they do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable one. So I do not run aimlessly, nor do I box as though beating the air; but I punish my body and enslave it, so that after proclaiming to others I myself should not be disqualified.”

- 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

3rd day since the Marathon and time to start thinking about the future

Ok, so today is Wednesday, officially the 3rd day since the marathon and its time to start thinking about the future.

First things first. I'm still sore, but at least I can walk up and down stairs without too much pain today. I should have taken the ice baths after the marathon, though I did have a hot soak last night that seemed to do wonders. Either way, I'm not nearly as sore as my first marathon where it felt like every bone in my feet were breaking and rubbing together everytime I walked. I'm eager to hit the pavement again, but I'll give it a few more days just to be safe. This eagerness surprises me a little, as after my first marathon I was burnt out and laid off running throughout much of the winter.

Next, I've decided that as I push ahead with the running, I've also decided to start coming into work 3 days a week to workout. My company has a small gym with 20 year old nautilus equipment, a treadmill, bike and some other odds and ends, including dumbbells that I might as well start using. I know that the cross training will help my running in the long run, as well as help me to drop down to my first marathon weight. I'd like to decrease my waist size and finally slim this little gut I've got. I feel that if I do this, my time will increase dramtically.

Or course, going hand in hand with the increasd exercise, is nutrition. I need to make sure that I begin sticking to a well-balanced nutritional plan, incorporating 6 small meals a day, including additional protein intake.

Ok, so thats the plan!

No comments: