2009 Year End Running Totals

2009 Year End Running Totals

Why I Run

“Do you not know that in a race the runners all compete, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win it. Athletes exercise self-control in all things; they do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable one. So I do not run aimlessly, nor do I box as though beating the air; but I punish my body and enslave it, so that after proclaiming to others I myself should not be disqualified.”

- 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Injured....

Well, a few weeks ago, I felt a 'pull' in my right calf area. At one point during my run, I actually had to stop, stretch, and walk. I though maybe it was just a cramp or severe pull. I laid off a few days and then was able to run a couple more times. Then last Monday, I felt it 'pull' again. I laid off and did some searching and came to the conclusion that it must be a - hopefully - slight muscle tear. I stayed off all all last week and it began to feel good again. So, this morning I headed out for a short 2-3 mile run. Well, other than my knee feeling a little tight, it seemed to be going ok. Until 2.75 of my 3.00 mile run and riiiiiiiiiip! Well, I guess, I'm laying off of it for another week and see how it goes. This time when I felt the pull, I didn't push it.
Its funny how a runner's life begins to revolve around running. I spent most of last week being grumpy and somewhat 'depressed' that I couldn't hit the road. I was going nuts. Now I've got another week and most likely another one after that according to all I've read. Frustrating to say the least! I guess I'd better turn my attention to starting my workouts at the office since I now have access to the little 'gym' in our building. Maybe for now, its even time to start 'writing' again.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Been there. Had a foot injury over the summer. Doc said "I wouldn't run for at least a couple of months." Totally wiped me out mentally.

But. . . a few weeks in I bought a bike. Turned my whole attitude around.

After two months or so, I was back to running and better than ever.

Whatever you do, don't mess around with the injury -- can lead to something much much worse. Go see a doc.