2009 Year End Running Totals

2009 Year End Running Totals

Why I Run

“Do you not know that in a race the runners all compete, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win it. Athletes exercise self-control in all things; they do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable one. So I do not run aimlessly, nor do I box as though beating the air; but I punish my body and enslave it, so that after proclaiming to others I myself should not be disqualified.”

- 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Friday, December 7, 2007

Let it Snow (Part II)

Its snowing again! So in three days we've had 2 significant snows...welcome to the north! That's 2 more snows than the entire 4 years we spent in Atlanta. The boys are pumped! Now only if they'd delay or cancel school, it would make their day. Oh...and if there was snow on Christmas too!

A new lady that started at my company is a former Sports Physical Therapist. Awesome! So as I was helping her get her computer up and running I asked her about my knee/calf issues, as well as my still sprained fingers (from the end of October flag football game). She felt around my knee and calf, asked me if this or that hurt, etc. She said there was some minor swelling the knee in tendon area, which kind of backs up my initial prognosis about the tendinitis thing. She told me to take a course of ibuprofen to reduce the swelling and to take it regularly for a week. That's how it works as an inflammatory, she said. Its not like a headache where you take aspirin or Tylenol and its gone. Ibuprofen needs to build up in your system to reduce the inflammation. I started taking it that afternoon. I can still try and run as long as I stop as soon as the pain hits. I did a semi-hard 2.50 miles on the treadmill this morning and it seemed fine. She said I can continue on the treadmill as that will provide less stress on the body since its softer than the street, but I'll do both.

On the depressing side! I'm at my heaviest weight since I had initially lost the 60 lbs 3-4 years ago. It's a mental, spiritual and physical drain. The thing is, I'm not sure why. I guess my work day snacking is more than I realize, plus I'm awful on the weekends. Combine that with not being able to run heavily and I'm a disaster! That's got to change. To be a 38 year old competitive runner, my weight really needs to be around 145-150. I weighed in at 184 this morning!

No comments: